Abu Dhabi Distribution Company (ADDC) Pursued, as part of the corporate social responsibility program adopted by ADWEA, an integrated vision policy that combines performance of principal tasks and community involvement.
The company proved that it is an active member of its community when it earlier took the initiative of adopting the concept of corporate social responsibility (CSR). It played a positive and effective role towards the community through mitigating the negative impacts resulting from the operation conditions, especially in its vital business in water and electricity distribution.
In many countries of the world, members of the society are looking for a greater role of companies in the society. The burden of social responsibility undertaken by these companies has become a measure of their success in creating a privileged relationship with the individuals, issues and activities of their societies.
Since its inception stages of institution, Abu Dhabi Distribution Company developed a program geared to communicate with the community of Abu Dhabi, and has extended bridges of communication with all community organizations, including environmental and educational institutions by ensuring continued development concurrent with the implementation of international standards in its operations. In addition, it has played a societal role in enhancing awareness, sponsoring campaigns and organizing conferences and exhibitions under the supervision of the parent authority.
The company's social role is not limited to education and environment but extends to launch initiatives in the care of other community activities such as family, childhood, sports, art and other social activities, education, and those efforts are being felt and known to the community of Abu Dhabi and the focus of the media and interested parties.
We continue to deepen our social interaction with our community in a positive way that makes us true partners in the integrated development witnessed in Abu Dhabi Emirate.
Emirate of Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi “capital of the United Arab Emirates”, has occupied a distinguished position on the map of the world's most sophisticated cities. It is racing to achieve the highest standards of excellence in the field of business, tourism, culture and art. In addition, it is an important economic center on the international level and is listed among the ten largest oil-producing cities of the world.
The land area of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi is about 67,340 square kilometers, representing 80 percent of the total area of the United Arab Emirates. The population of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi reached
1,463,491 persons at the end of 2006, representing one third of the total population of the UAE.
The Emirate of Abu Dhabi launched several pioneer projects in various sectors including oil, gas, electricity and water, petrochemicals, alternative energy, business and real estate sectors.
Abu Dhabi is leaping into the future through a number of pioneer projects such as Masdar city for Renewable Energy, the first of its kind in the world. "Saadiyat Island," on the other hand it is expected to develop into a natural and cultural tourist destination that promotes the global ambition of Abu Dhabi to become a regional and an international cultural, investment and tourism center. The island will host the touristy recreational and cultural facilities and embrace the largest collection of museums, art galleries and cultural centers.
Abu Dhabi Distribution Company is implementing its corporate social responsibility program within the directives of Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority of the opening to the community of Abu Dhabi, where the Commission has the following initiatives:
- Support and regulate the activities and conservation initiatives on the environment
- Launch initiatives to support the education sector.
- Participate in community events.
The following are details of the corporate social responsibility program of Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority:
First: support and regulate the activities and conservation initiatives on environment:
- The National Power and Water Desalination Research Center established in Abu Dhabi by ADWEA in 1999,is a unique research center on the local and regional level. It conducts state of the art research on water and electricity production, transmission and distribution. It is engaged in areas of scientific and applied research on modern and innovative technology for power generation, water desalination and conservation of environment.
Measurement of carbon emissions in the atmosphere and control the emission rates according to the applicable international standards, using specific techniques and devices provided by ADWEA
- Air-quality testing and issuance of periodical follow-up reports in order to monitor and protect the environment.
- Support the activities of environmental institutions and initiatives for protection of the environment in addition to water and electricity the conservation campaigns in collaboration with a number of authorities, institutions and other international and local environmental organizations.
- ADWEA participation in the "World Summit on the future of energy," January 2009.
- ADWEA Participated in the environment exhibition and conference held in Abu Dhabi in January 2007 along with specialist exhibitors and institutions concerned with environment and energy sector from the Middle East , North Africa, Europe the United States and others.
- ADWEA sponsored the activities of the Arab Organization for Water Utilities, conference in 2007.
ADWEA was the main sponsor of MEED conferences.
- ADWEA sponsored the Middle East Power and Water conference in 2007.
- ADWEA sponsored the Heroes of the Emirates campaign to rationalize the power consumption. 40 thousand environment friendly light bulbs were distributed in Abu Dhabi in August 2009.
- ADWEA launched many environmental initiatives aiming to conserve natural resources, reduce pollution and promote awareness among community members on the importance of environment conservation, waste recycling and its sorting and disposal of in an environmental friendly manner to safe future generations.
- ADWEA and its companies group Adopted the application of ‘management without papers” policy by adopting electronic correspondence between departments and staff in a distinct environmental initiative aiming at reduction of waste paper and environment preservation .
Secondly: initiatives to support the education sector
- ADWEA realizing the importance of education in building the future generations and their role in the integrated development process, has allocated part of its social responsibility to support this vital sector
- ADWEA donated 600 computers for educational institutions and educational institutions.
- ADWEA provided Computer training courses on ICDL for around 2000 secondary school students in Al AIN educational area and is persisting on providing such initiatives.
- ADWEA established its own scholarship program. being aware of the importance of encouraging UAE nationals to pursue their university and higher qualifications studies particularly in the field of engineering (electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil, as well as in some other disciplines that it requires.
- ADWEA provided attractive job opportunities to attract students to work in the water and electricity sector of the Emirate, namely in the modern projects undertaken by the Authority under the privatization program.
- ADWEA provided a practical training program for university students in its companies and work sites aiming at upgrading the students skills and integrating their academic knowledge with excellent practical experiences.
- ADWEA is planning to establish scientific clubs to urge outstanding students to innovate and gain excellence and scientific thinking. These clubs provide an ideal learning environment and a place for adoption of talented students in the field of water and electricity and alternative energy in particular.
- The formation of groups such as " ADWEA friends " in schools of the Emirate to provide the students with new roles beside the educational process in collaboration with ADWEA for raising awareness, communication and dissemination of knowledge and thereby enhance their role towards the community as well as their personal skills.
- ADWEA Sponsored many educational conferences organized by universities and colleges in the Emirate.
- ADWEA is a major sponsor of the development and upgrading of human resources program in the UAE.
- ADWEA sponsored the Education without Borders conference, organized by the Higher Colleges of Technology in Abu Dhabi on an annual basis with the participation of students from all over the world.
- ADWEA Participated in the sixth week of culture and science, organized by the United Arab Emirates University
ADWEA Sponsored conferences and business forums in Abu Dhabi.
- ADWEA sponsored the Canadian / American trip of creativity, business and investment organized by the Higher Colleges of Technology.
- ADWEA sponsored the Symposium on Engineering Education at the University of United Arab Emirates
Thirdly: support of community-based activities
ADWEA Participates in the many events organized by community institutions in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. With a view of participation and interaction with the community, It has supported several awareness campaigns as well as various sports, social, cultural and artistic activities
Examples of activities supported by ADWEA:
- sponsored the businesspersons conferences in Abu Dhabi.
- sponsored the Innovation Center at the UAE University.
- Sponsored sport sessions organized by the sports organizations and clubs.
- Sponsored the activities and campaigns of the Red Crescent Authority
- sponsored the French Disneyland shows for people with special needs.
- Sponsor of mass marriages campaigns for people with special needs.
- distribution of about 42 thousand copies of the Holy Quran CDs to the public through AL Itihad newspaper on the occasion of the Holy month of Ramadan.
Some of the events and activities in which ADWEA has participated:
- Sponsored the “Heroes of the UAE campaign to rationalize power consumption in addition to the distribution of 40 thousand environment friendly light bulbs in Abu Dhabi in August 2009
- Donated 600 computer sets to the educational institutions as a contribution in the development of education meet some schools needs.
- Provided Computer training courses on ICDL for around 2000 secondary school students in Al AIN educational area and is persisting on providing such initiatives.
- ADWEA established its own scholarship program. to encourage UAE nationals to pursue their university and higher qualifications studies.
- Establishment of the National Centre for water and energy research.
- Follow-up carbon emissions measurement and inspection of air quality in Abu Dhabi.